John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

On May 19, 2015 I was directed by Tyler Z to purchase and

Customer Question

On May 19, 2015 I was directed by Tyler Z to purchase and install a new ignitor for my Magic Chef EA 92-5KLPX Oven. Ignitor(###) ###-####was installed,is operating and my oven will still not heat.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Does the igniter glow? If not, you'll need a multimeter to test power between the 2 wires going to the igniter to see if you're getting 120 volts between the 2 wires to to where to start.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the new ignitor is glowing
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK great, if you're sure the cooktop is working then we know that the oven is getting gas which means that either the igniter came faulty and it's not drawing 3.2 amps or the oven gas safety valve isn't opening and it should be. You really need an amp clamp to know for certain but those are you to options, either you need a new igniter or you need a new oven gas safety valve.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a wall oven and the ignitor is new from our last conversation
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I know the igniter is new---things come defective. But if it's a wall oven then you need to confirm you're getting gas from your house to the oven. If so then everything I just said is still the same. Otherwise you need to figure out why you're not getting gas to the oven from your house.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok just disconnected the gas line and there is gas going to the oven
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK great that means either your igniter came defective or the oven gas safety valve has failed and isn't opening when the igniter drawers 3.2 amps. You'd need an amp clamp to test to be certain. Also, just in case you didn't give it long enough make sure you give the oven 5 minutes to open the gas valve.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I waited 10-15 minutes and the oven would not fire up.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Alright well then you know what the options are at this point.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you have a part number for the gas safety valve?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately the model number isn't pulling up so it's either too old to pull up or just not correct, but I can not pull it up I'm afraid. The part is usually about $200 just so you know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you explain where I check with the amp clamp?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
You just clamp one of the 2 wires going to the igniter anywhere when the igniter is on and glowing to check the amp draw.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will get one and give it a try. Thx
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
ok good luck.