Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I just hooked up our Franklin Chef Model FIM120A icemaker at

Customer Question

I just hooked up our Franklin Chef Model FIM120A icemaker at our church. We got this ice maker about five or six years ago. We couldn't use it due to extremely hard water and bad water that kept giving us problems. We cleaned the maker and turned it off. We now have a water softener with a filter so we should be good to go. I suspect that we are in need of Freon for our maker as we now have water and the compressor runs but does not stop running. What would you think. Is there something that I could look at before calling a repairman?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! If the compressor is running and no cool is being produced to make ice, the refrigerant has likely leaked out. The issue is probably going to be a rusted steel line in the condenser and will not be inexpensive to fix. A typical sealed system repair runs $250-300 + parts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Kelly, after I sent the request I did look in the back and found a tap on the refrigerant line. Sometimes it pays to look at the simple things first. I would say that the tap has leaked.

Thanks again.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
If there was a tap already installed, it has another leak that will need to be addressed.