Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a kenmore elite refrigerator. About four weeks ago it

Customer Question

I have a kenmore elite refrigerator. About four weeks ago it stopped getting cold in fridge and freezer. I lost all my food. I cleaned the fridge and then unplugged it. I called 1800 for my home and some guy showed up to repair it. He said it was low in freon and added some. I told him this is not right then it will just leak again. The fridge is only 3 years old. After about three days it was hot again. He then ordered a PCB electronic board. I installed it and powered the thing up and the next day it still is broken. These people are horrible. It has ken more on it but has Samsung compressor. Nobody knows whom the manufacturer is. This has become a big joke. I notice the compressor is not running but the fan is. What shall I do? I ohmed out the compressor before this idiot came over to my home and it was fine. The compressor was also running at the time of his first visit. I watched him pierce the copper line next to my compressor and add refrigerant. Asked him how much he added and how low it was when he started but he had no idea. I got suckered by Sears. He left loose screws on my kitchen floor.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! What the technician did was actually illegal. If the unit was low on refrigerant and he did not attempt to find and repair the leak, he could be at risk for substantial fines. Also, any refrigerant usage needs to be recorded and documented, not just for Sears, but for the federal government. I would recommend you call Sears back and have them send a different technician to repair it properly or insist they replace the refrigerator. Fines can be up to $10,000 so if you let them know just what you told me and that you are aware of the rules for refrigerant handling, I suspect they will be more than happy to get you taken care of. See the URL below.
http://www2.epa.gov/enforcement/report-environmental-violations