Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

GE Fridge Model # ***** Serial HD249066 the Freezer

Customer Question

GE Fridge Model # ***** Serial HD249066 the Freezer temperature is 20 degrees as she has it set, all items are frozen in the freezer but there is water (ice) droplets and frost granules from the top and gets less as it goes down the shelfs to the bottom.
The ice maker is not making any ice, but the water source looks to be from the ice maker. Sears has replaced the control board, ice maker, water solenoids and I think that was it...all in 2014. The freezer when I got to it was frozen because the defrost sensor
was failing, I replaced that and all was working for over 2 months...except according to the home owner the ice maker has never made ice only a few months after Sears replaced the unit. Any ideas why this would be freezing everything, I'm sure it isn't getting
much if any water from the ice maker water supply, I could not activate it when I was at the home. But it is clear the water and is coming from the top down. Where the coils are are clear and the defrost is working and as I said the freezer is maintaining
20 degree temperature.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Twenty degrees in the freezer is too warm, it has to be 0-10* F for the ice maker to cycle. The high temperature is probably being caused by an air flow issue. Can you hear a fan running in the freezer section? Can you see any frost on the back wall inside the freezer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the evaporative fan is running, The Ice maker is flashing which means that it was clogged or jammed, which it isn't jammed because there is no or little water in the ice maker, The frost pattern is what is troubling me. The 20 degrees is warmer than I like to see also, but the home owner insist on keeping at the highest setting. Every thing is frozen. The frost pattem is right under the ice maker, and it is clear ice, the granulated frost which is 1/4" thick is white.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The ice maker cannot cycle at 20* F. The thermostat will never close to allow power to the motor to initiate a harvest cycle. So, unless the temperature is brought down, it is not going to work.