John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

On May 14 I purchased GE Microwave oven Model JES1656SR2SS,

Customer Question

On May 14 I purchased GE Microwave oven Model JES1656SR2SS, SERIAL # *****
We had been using it successfully since then but yesterday it kept giving us the message "FOOD" and refused to follow any of our commands -- usually express cook or time cook.
Help?! We know it is food but how do we get rid of this message and get the microwave to follow our command? Pressing CLEAR/OFF does not help.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  repairman4734 replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is Farrell & I will be helping you with your problem today.
Thanks for your question, it is appreciated. Over a period of time, the electronic control develops a memory. Try unplugging the unit for about give or take 10 minutes. Then plug back in and reset the clock. Then see if the unit responds correctly. Let me know, and thanks. Farrell
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Farrell -- I had to go out but just got home and followed your instructions. I unplugged the microwave and left it unplugged for about 1/2 hour. When I plugged it back in (into a different outlet) the power came on. I reset the clock w. no problem. However when I tried to heat a cup of coffee -- first by EXPRESS COOK and then by TIME COOK. I received the same FOOD message and the microwave did not heat up. This is a 2-week old microwave and it seems incredible that we cannot use it. Hope you can help me.
Thanx. lucy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi -- I'm still waiting for a response to my problem w. a GE Microwave.
I would also like to know how I can opt out of a one year membership in Just Answer.
Hi, sorry, we were out for awhile. You have a one year parts and labor warranty on your machine. Basically you have a bad electronic control board. Contact the store where you bought it for servicing. I can give you the part number if you want to repair it yourself. But it will void your warranty. On your end, you will need to contact just answer for your request.