John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Have whirlpool refrig, modeL ED5LHAX. REFRIG TICKS AFTER

Customer Question

have whirlpool refrig, modeL ED5LHAX. REFRIG TICKS AFTER OPENING AND CLOSING COOL SIDE DOOR . STOPS A FEW SECONDS AFTER CLOSING DOOR.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 34 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 60,000 phone and internet repairs under my belt.
I assume your COOL SIDE DOOR is the fresh food section door !
And when you open and close the door the ticking is the air being sucked out of the unit through the drain line till the air pressure equalizes with in the unit.
This ticking does it sounds as if it is coming from under the freezer section ?
( bottom left of the unit)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no it does not
ok where is the ticking coming from then?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ticking comes only from frest food side. What is the solution?
ok i know the ticking is when you open and close the door but where is the actually ticking coming from?
Is it coming from the door gasket or the door panel or else where on the unit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is inside the refrig and the inside lites flicker sligthtly during the flickering
ok so not only do you have ticking but you also have flickering of the lights?
These light that flicker are these the refrigerator lights or some other lights?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
refrigerator lites inside the fresh food side
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the lites flicker is slight - more like a slight dim
Ok now so your info is rather confusing! you said in your first post (REFRIG TICKS AFTER OPENING AND CLOSING COOL SIDE DOOR )
Which makes it sound as if this happens AFTER you have closed the fresh food section door.
But if the door is closed the interior lights would not be on nor could you even tell if the lights where on with the door closed.
So can you now better explain your issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it starts ticking when I open the door and the lights flicker. if I close and reopen the door during the ticking the lights are flickering
ok now i got it and the ticking seems to be coming from the door and not under the unit in the rear of the product?
I think I know what it is but need to verify where the ticking sound is coming from first.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it comes from inside the fresh food compartment- both when ;the door is open and closed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there a solution or should I ignore it?
ok can you open the fresh food section door and give me the FULL model number off of the model serial tag please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ED5LHAXMQOO
ok can you open the fresh food door and push in the light switch and let go of the switch a few times to try and find where the ticking is coming from?
There is nothing that I can see in the console that would make a noise
The control board for this unit that controls the light is mounter in the rear of the unit under it on the right rear corner looking at the unit from the front .
So it could be sounding as if it is coming from the fresh food section .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i OPENED DOOR AND NO TICKING THIS TIME . CAN WE HOLD OFF UNTIL TICKING RETURNS?
sure ,Just copy This conversations URL and paste it into your favorites and get back to me when you can!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THANKS BUT I AM 80 YRS OLD AND DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE COPY TO URL AND PASTE TO FAVORITES. CAN YOU EXPLAIN IT SO I WILL UNDERSTAND?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I OPENED THE DOOR AND THE TICKING WAS ON. I TURNED THE LITES OFF AND ON SEVERAL TIMES AND THE TICKING STAYED THE SAME
Yes If you look at the top of your computer screen you will see the http://www.justanswer.com/appliance/9477p-whirlpool-refrig-model-ed5lhax-refrig-ticks.html?src=nql
That is the conversations URL address just highlight it and copy then open your favorites on the far right of that address bar and then paste that copied address so you can go back to it and open that address any time.
Ok you still have not given me a good answer to where the noise is coming from .
So i will have to assume that it is coming from the light rely on the main control board in the rear of the refrigerator under the unit .
This normally means the relay is going bad it will not hurt anything but eventually the light will not work ,and the main control board in the rear under the unit will need to be replaced.
Here is a link to the part .
http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Main-Control-Board/W10135090/1394052?rcaid=1000070
If you have any questions just reply back.