Jamie_2013
Jamie_2013, Handyman
Experience:  worked on appliances for around 6 years
76126576

Why did my microwave get very hot without being on? My wife

Customer Question

Why did my microwave get very hot without being on? My wife touched the outside and got burned. I pulled the plug and haven't turned on again. What's the problem.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jamie_2013 replied 1 year ago.
Is it still hot?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jamie_2013 replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry but I don't have no way to call you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Once I pulled the plug it took sometime before it cooled off. I haven't turned it on again.
Expert:  Jamie_2013 replied 1 year ago.
Okay, when cooking microwaves do get warm on the outside but shouldn't be hot. This would be the magnetron causing this and can be very dangerous. You will need to get this fixed unless you want to repair it yourself before using it again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it a faulty magnetron? How can I repair this? I don't even know what magnetron is or where it is located.
Expert:  Jamie_2013 replied 1 year ago.
Yes you need to replace the magnetron as it is faulty. Even unplugged the unit still contains very high voltage so you will need to be careful. I would recommend getting a technician out to fix it as it would need to be tested as well.
Expert:  Jamie_2013 replied 1 year ago.
Please remember to rate me a 6 so I get credit for helping you as we are on an honor system, Thanks.