Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I'm Holly. My Quiet Partner V is not draining.

Customer Question

Hi, I'm Holly. My Quiet Partner V is not draining.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Can you hear the pump running when it should be draining? Do you know how the drain hose is hooked to your home's plumbing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no draining sound, and I don't know how the drain hose is hooked up to our plumbing. We bought this home 6 years ago as new construction, so it should be pretty standard.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
If you press the cancel button, what happens? Do you hear any noise at all, like humming or buzzing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, there is the sound of humming as though it was cancelling the cycle. Can we talk by phone?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I am not available for phone assistance right now. I can place your question back to the list if you would like. There may be another technician that is available.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, that's okay, I'm just finding having to keep going back to my email account to get your answer very frustrating.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Can't you just stay on this thread? If you look under your sink, you will see a plastic corrugated drain hose. Is that attached to a garbage disposal or go up to an air gap mounted on the counter by the sink?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a drain hose attached to thew garbage disposal and goes into a space behind the cabinet. How do I stay on the thread? When I push send this screen goes away.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Hmm, I am not sure on the screen going away, I don't have that happen on my end as a user or logged in as an expert. It may be something with the browser you are using or something they are working on. I am really sorry, I know that must be frustrating.
Can you remove the drain hose connection from the disposal and then place the hose into a bucket and see if it will drain when the cancel button is pushed? If the disposal is newly installed, they may have forgotten to knock out the plug, a very common issue. Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. We're getting bucket, towels, etc. And, the screen didn't go away. My bad. When I signed up it said my response would be emailed to me, so I thought I had to keep going back there.Could this problem be because the disposal hasn't ever been cleaned?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Great on the screen! As for the disposal, it could be plugged, yes. Especially if the hose drops down instead of going up into a high loop.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Our hose drops down and then loops up to go out the back of the cabinet. Definitely not a high loop. Should we try cleaning the disposal before we proceed? We've never done it before, and I can't find the manual. If the dishwasher thing doesn't go away after we clean the disposal, how do I get back in touch with you?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I would clean the port that the hose connects to, yes. That hose needs to go up immediately so when you use the disposal, debris does not have the opportunity to flow down into the dishwasher drain hose. That is likely the issue. Once you remove that hose, you should be able to stick a finger in that port, so make sure it is totally clean. Let me know what you find. You can just post right back here to this thread. There is no time limit. Once you post, it will alert me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. So wha's a port?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, that is the part that sticks out from the disposal that the hose is attached to.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so we unscrewed the hose and it's filled with electrical wires. Apparently that's not the right hose. Can I take a picture of under our sink and send it to you somehow?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is nothing else attached to the disposal except the PVC pipe
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The hose should be plastic and corrugated. Copy and paste the URL below.
http://www.homemadehints.com/imgs/garbage_disposal_connections.jpg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing like that at all. We discovered a clear plastic corrugated tube that appears to be coming from the dishwasher and goes into the main drain pipe from the sink. Nothing except the electrical conduit is attached to the garbage disposal.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Can you post a picture? The URL below will explain how.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've attached the photos.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Excellent, nice work! Okay, they did not use the dishwasher port on the disposal. The dishwasher is connected to what is called a "tailpiece" on the other drain. Can you remove that corrugated hose and see if that is clear?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The corrugated pipe appears to be clear. My husband took the PVC trap apart that the corrugated tube connects to and it was clear. as water is coming down from the sink. Keep in mind that whenever something goes wrong, be it medical, dental, or household, it is usually something very out of the ordinary.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like your family operates just like mine! So, no draining into a bucket? Have you noticed it not washing well lately, especially on the top rack?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes!!!
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, let's look in a different direction....
Watch the video below. See if that chopper area is plugged. I have to pick up my daughter, will be back in about 20 minutes, let me know what you find.
https://youtu.be/lRDbTgBOtIE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kelly,We're not going to be able to do this tonight. My husband is experiencing pain and is having dental work tomorrow morning. I've emailed him the youtube link you sent, and hopefully he'll be able to do this tomorrow. I will do my best to keep this connection open; hopefully my computer won't decide to automatically update something and shut itself down. Thank you so much for you help tonight. Enjoy the rest of your evening with your family.Holly
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
No worries! Just reply back when you can. I have several medical appointments tomorrow so I may be a bit delayed in replying but will get back to you as soon as possible. Thank you, ***** ***** guys have a great evening!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kelly,We just wet vac'ed the water out of the dishwasher, removed the filer and cleaned it. I've attached photos of the inside of our model. Doesn't look like the one in your video. Any help you can give?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
What is the exact model number? It is on a tag inside the door opening, usually on the left side, right in front of the rubber door seal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Type number: 586-0
Model numbet GU3600XTVY0 not sure if this last number is ***** alpha character or a number
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. If it is still not draining and the filter area is clear (which it appears to be), you are going to need to pull the machine out to access the drain pump, number 14 in the diagram at the URL below. Is this something you think you want to do yourself? You may need to disconnect the electrical and water, depending on how it is installed.
http://www.partadvantage.com/diagram/3/0/00080520/680/900
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for you help, but I think we've reached our level of comfort with DIY. We'll be calling the plumber tomorrow.Holly
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
You may want an appliance repair person, a plumber will not repair any parts on the dishwasher and since the hose is clear at the fitting, the issue is definitely with the dishwasher.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much for you help. We really appreciate it.Holly
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
You bet, thank you!