Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I change my defrost timer my freezer side ice up and my fan

Customer Question

I change my defrost timer my freezer side ice up and my fan for the refri- side stop working
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
The unit will frost up if the fan isn't running so the issue is that your fan isn't running. Test power between the 2 wires going to the evaporator fan and confirm you have 120 volts going to the fan. If so, then you just need to order and replace the evaporator fan motor because it has failed. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my evaporate fan is running still freezing up.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK you said it wasn't running yesterday, so which is it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yesitis running i took it off last night to make sure.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK then either your defrost thermostat has failed or the defrost heater has failed since you already replaced the defrost timer. You'll need a multimeter to test continuity through the defrost thermostat (clipped onto the top of the silver evaporator coils) as well as continuity through the defrost heater (runs along the bottom of the silver evaporator coils). Whatever part doesn't have continuity is the part you need to replace. Usually the defrost thermostat is the part that fails on this model. The part number is(###) ###-####and it's only about $13. Below is a link to the part. CLICK HERE for defrost thermostat
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?