Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a French ( 4 door) refrigerator freezer and ice is building

Customer Question

I have a French ( 4 door) refrigerator freezer and ice is building up in the bottom freezer I have emptied and cleaned that drawer and ice is still building up. It is only about 2 years old and was bought at Nebraska Furniture Mart. Can you please help me troubleshoot it since I do not have money for a repairman to come and fix it. I only live on Social Security and do not have extra money to spare. Please help me'''''''''''' Thank you
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Good evening This is a very common issue and it means that your defrost drain line has frozen over and will need to be thawed out. This often times happens for no reason at all and is just random. You will need to remove everything out of your freezer and remove the back panel inside the freezer. Use a hair dryer to thaw all the ice out and locate the drain hole. Pour hot water down the drain hole until it's draining properly again. Once it's draining properly blow compressed air down to make sure it's clear. If you don't have compressed air, use a turkey baster to make sure the drain line is clear and draining properly. Cut a solid copper piece of wire about 6 inches long. Wrap it around the defrost heater a couple times just above the drain hole and extend it 2 inches into the defrost drain hole. That will transfer heat into the drain hole when the defrost heater turns on and will prevent the defrost drain line from freezing over in the future.We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with? If not, please remember to rate my service to complete our conversation.