John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Have a Kenmore 106.57026602. Ice dispenser system frequently

Customer Question

Have a Kenmore 106.57026602. Ice dispenser system frequently freezes solid so no ice can be dispensed. Happens about every 2 weeks. What's wrong? Do we need to reset temperature?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 34 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 60,000 phone and internet repairs under my belt.
Can you better explain ice dispenser system freezes?
Do you mean all the cubes in the dispenser freeze together or what?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, all cubes freeze together in the cube reservoir but also down in the chute as well.
ok !
So you either have the unit getting warm and melting the ice cubes together ,a door being left ajar for warm air to get into the freezer ,or the ice chute /dispenser door is not closing allowing warm air in to the unit from the ice chute opening .
so if you open the fresh food and freezer doors about 1/2 the way open and just let go of them will they go closed by them selves?
And if you open the freezer door with the ice container off the door and press on the ice lever the dispenser door should open and when you let go of the lever it should go closed is the dispenser door doing just that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Affirmative to all three questions... doors close and ice dispenser door opens when lever is pressed and closes within a couple of seconds.
ok if the doors close and the dispenser door also closes properly .
Do you thing someone could be leaving one of the fresh food or freezer door open at one time or anther?
and how much food product do you have in the freezer at this time? 1/4 ,1/2 ,3/4 full
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have accidentally left the door open maybe twice in 8 years, but it hasn't coincided with the dispenser freeze-ups. The freezer is about 3/4 full most f the time.
ok when the ice cube container melts and freezes up do you have any thing in the freezer section that is defrosted ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. My wife just came in from teaching school and says I've misunderstood the problem. She says the ice is all fine but the mechanism that dispenses it doesn't work properly. Perhaps that's a part that will hae to be replaced?
ok can you or she give me a better understanding of doesn`t work properly?
Is it not dispensing ,does it at times not work =no sound.
Does it give crushed ice when calling for cubes?
See I need to know more then not working properly!