Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a GE electric range, age unknown. During the last couple

Customer Question

I have a GE electric range, age unknown. During the last couple months I've notice a sooty residue appearing above the oven door when the oven is used. Also noticed this soot on some of my white bakeware. I replaced the door seal then used the self-clean feature to clean the oven but the problem persists. The oven seems to still keep normal temps - not over or under heating. Any ideas on what causes this problem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
Welcome, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your problem today. If anything isn't clear, please just ask me.
Hello, I'm so sorry for the extended wait time. Do you still need help with this?
If so, I will try to locate some information on this for you.
Do you have a model number?
Thanks Rob
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model number is *****
Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Im sorry, that number doesnt show up at GE at all
Rob
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oops! Sorry, I was taking it off a photo on my phone and got the wrong photo. That was my AT&T modem. I'll look now for the correct photo.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model number J BP23G S1WH
Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Thanks
Hi
I have put a call out for the schematics of this machine
While Im waiting Ill opt out.
This means that if someone else has this information, they will respond to you directly.
In the meantime, please DO NOT rate or respond to this question, as this will lock your question
Thanks
Rob
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! I suspect there may be something that is burning within the oven that is sooting. That is really the only thing that could or would cause any type of sooting. Sooting is the residue of burning, so if it is actually sooting and not discoloring, I suspect it is from the elements or the oven surface. Do you paint or varnish in your home or has there been any remodeling recently? Sometimes residues from those types of goings on can settle on the elements and cause this type of issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I said previously, after replacing the door seal I cleaned the oven thoroughly using the self cleaning followed by wiping it out with plain water. Of course I removed the racks when cleaning the oven. Is it possible there is enough residue on the racks themselves to be causing this? In almost 50 year of using ovens I have never seen this before. Not even from much dirtier ovens!
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Sure, if there is anything on the racks, they will cause issues. Is there any odor associated with the sooting? Can you post a picture of what you are seeing?