John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a ge window ac unit that I cannot seem to get working.

Customer Question

I have a ge window ac unit that I cannot seem to get working. It is a larger unit so it has a gfci built into the power cord. It requires 230v for power so I bought a single 20a/250v plug to power the unit. The circuit is run from a 125a box in which I used a tandem 15 amp breaker. Each 15 amp breaker is sending power to the outlet. So I have my copper running to the bar and the white and black wires each coming from one of the 15 amp breakers (off the tandem). I am getting power to the outlet but the light indicator on the gfci power cord has no light. It has a test and reset button.. I have pushed both and yet I have no power to the unit. Please help.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Can you post how the outlet is wired please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
http://www.cableorganizer.com/images/outlet/product/leviton-40245.jpgIt is this outlet. I have the copper wire run to the green screw. I have a white power wire to one side and the black wire to another side. The wire is run from my box. The copper wire is run to the grounding bar and each of the other wires (white and black) are coming out of a 15 amp tandem breaker where each wire has its own leg.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Now do you have a meter to measure the actual white to black voltage?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I don't. I was using a power tester to see if I had power to the outlet. Like one that lights up if you have power. It is very weird.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Can you post pic of breaker wiring and is the cord from ac one that had to be installed or was it already installed?