Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a GE Profile refrigerator--model TBX22PR. The ice maker

Customer Question

I have a GE Profile refrigerator--model TBX22PR. The ice maker makes ice. The water dispenser works fine. The ice dispenser will only dispense crushed ice, not cubes. The little "door" in the dispenser that changes position to switch between crushed and cubed ice moves, but I only get crushed ice. Occasionally ice particles completely block the dispenser and nothing comes out.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Number 36 at the URL below is the solenoid that draws the arm in the ice bucket up to allow the cubes to fall out as whole cubes. Either that is not drawing the arm up or the ice bucket or arm is broken. Can you inspect the bucket to see if the arm on the bucket is working?
http://www.partadvantage.com/diagram/4/00126000/00126006.i02/680/900
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can move the arm by hand. When I move the switch, with the door open, should I see a change in the solenoid? I can't observe anything happening at the solenoid. (I also pulled out the bin, closed the door, moved the switch between crushed and cubed, and opened the door again. Still can't observe any change.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The solenoid should pull up, but you will have to hold the door switch closed and dispense cubed ice to see it work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the door switch is closed and I try to dispense cubed and then crushed ice, there is no change visible at the solenoid.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Does the auger turn?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so that solenoid is either faulty or the switch that selects between the two is bad. Can you measure the voltage at the solenoid wires when the auger is running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We can, but have to retrieve the tools from our workshop. Will measure the voltage this evening.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, if you have voltage, the solenoid is faulty. No voltage, that switch that selects between cubed and crushed is faulty.