Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

Electric shock while stirring metal pot with metal spoon in

Customer Question

electric shock while stirring metal pot with metal spoon in one hand touching stove with other hand
hotpoint coil burner stove, 1990 vintage
burner shows some shiny metal areas
faulty burner? replace?
thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.
Hi, does this only happen on one burner?
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes so far as I can tell.PS: I am an electrical engineer but know little about appliances ..
That's strange. Have you tried every other burner and can verify for sure it's only happening on that one burner?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used an AC volt meter one probe on the metal frame and wiped the other around the coils while on and off. At least three of the coils gave readings in the range 50 - 75 volts ACStove metal showed continuity to third pin ground on nearby outlet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(readings were while burner on)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
really just trying to see / confirm is coil elements are known to suffer this type of failure...
Coil elements usually do not suffer from this kind of failure. I've never seen or heard of it happening before. I would suspect a grounding issue if 3 of the 4 burners have voltage when on. I would start at the back where the power cord connects. You may find the issue there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hmm so you haven't seen it. I think it is something only likely to occur in old / heavily used stoves
While waiting for your response I found this:
http://www.appliance411.ca/faq/test-element.shtml
The coil elements on this model are like the ones pictured in the link or do they have wires that connect? Yes, I've never seen it and I've fixed at least 30k different appliances. So I haven't seen everything by a long shot but I've seen a lot.
So you're saying the actual element part inside the insulation is exposed? That's why I was asking if it only happened on one burner? I know it's a possibility I've just never seen it. So three of your burners are worn completely through to the element then?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the coils have two "loop" type connectors. yes they look pretty much like the ones in the link
on the one that gave the shock it looks like there is a shiny metallic area where the normal black coating has been worn right away
PS I changed all four elements now, just trying to do post mortem to determine cause and see if anything else needed
Yes, that makes sense. The ones in the picture are by far more common. The ones that have the wires connected are old school.
Yes, I would say by replacing the burners that will fix the issue. It sounds like you had three burners that needed to be replaced.
We work on the honor system here at Just Answers. Were not credited for our work until you rate our answers positively. After you rate our answers positively the question does not close. You can come back and ask follow up questions for no additional charge.
Thank you