Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

I have a Kitchenaid refrigerator model KSCS251 . The ice maker

Customer Question

I have a Kitchenaid refrigerator model KSCS251 . The ice maker ice molds are full of frozen water and the fingers are pointing up but when I turn the ice maker back on the water begins to flow trying to fill the molds thus flooding the freezer.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.
Hi, when this happens it means the ice maker is shorted. Usually what happens is the heater on the ice maker molds bottom fails. The ice sticks and the fingers get stuck up but the motor keeps going and can get stuck calling for water.
Take the ice maker out and thaw the ice and start fresh. If the ice maker calls for water freezes and sticks again, replace the ice maker because it's faulty. If it works after you defrost it, the filter most likely needs to be replaced because it's not letting the correct amount of pressure into the ice maker mold which causes the ice to freeze to the fingers. That's common. I suspect based on your complaint that you will need to replace the ice maker since it's the most common issue on these models.
You can get the ice maker from any local appliance parts house or from sears parts. You can also use the link below. The ice maker has three 1/4 screws that mount it and a plug and play connection on the side. If you're handy, you can tackle this job. It's a very straight forward repair.
We work on the honor system here at Just Answers. Were not credited for our work until you rate our answers positively. After you rate our answers positively the question does not close. You can come back and ask follow up questions for no additional charge.
Thank you