Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Kitchen aid Superba gas dryer was disconnected and removed

Customer Question

Kitchen aid Superba gas dryer was disconnected and removed so a new floor could be installed. Was reinstalled and a gas odor was detected at first use. Gas line to dryer and connection to dryer checked by plumber. Not leaking. What to do now?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.
So I know this seems scary but hopefully you'll understand what I'm saying. There actually isn't a problem with the dryer. This is a well known phenomenon that occurs when you paint in the same room or refinish furniture or replace flooring in the same room as the dryer. If you run the dryer for a bit and open the door it will smell like straight ethanol or starter fluid when you open the door. This isn't a leak, it the build up of fumes inside the dryer from pulling in the air from the new floors. As time goes on it will dissipate, but it could be weeks or months before it's normal again. There really isn't a whole lot you can do other than run fans and keeps the windows/doors open to remove the odor from the floors quicker because whatever odor you have coming from the floors will condense and smell like starter fluid inside the dryer. It's not dangerous, but it will cause your clothing to smell so it's not something you probably want to be passive about, you want to minimize the odor as quick as you can so that your clothes don't smell like gas.
We are on the honor system here.  Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with? If not, please remember to rate my service to complete our conversation.