Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I'm having error code f9 e1 on my washing machine. I was not

Customer Question

I'm having error code f9 e1 on my washing machine. I was not using the correct detergent. Checked drains...seem good. How can I reset so it will let me open the door?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
The error should reset on it's own once the drain is clear unless it thinks it's still flooded. The only other thing to try is to see if it will go into diagnostics and reset. To do this, follow the instructions belowSelect any three different keys (except POWER). Individually press these in a sequence of 1, 2, 3 and then repeat this sequence two more times. This sequence must be completed within 8 seconds of the first key press. These three keys are referred to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd keys, based on the order pressed.Upon entry into service diagnostics, the console will beep (if available) and all console LED lights will turn on for 5 seconds.Now if that doesn't reset the error, either your main control board has failed or the pressure switch is bad and thinks that the tub is always full of water even though it isn't. I would probably replace the pressure switch first since it's cheaper than the control board, but that is completely up to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Didn't work. Washer is only a month old...so control panel should be ok
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Doesn't matter how old the washer is but if that didn't work then you really need to call warranty because doing anything else will void the warranty. That being said, you did say you "checked the drains" but my guess would be that you just checked the drain hose? There is a drain catch below the tub that is supposed to catch any socks or coins or anything like that before it gets to the drain pump so most likely you need to clean out your drain catch. To do so will void your warranty so I wouldn't recommend it but I'll give you the instructions anyways. Unfortunately these washers are not easy at all to access and fix a drain problem. There is a drain catch inside the washer that you will want to access and clean if you're getting this drain error. To access the drain catch, it's very difficult. The top panel, the control panel, and the entire front panel all need to be removed so that you can access the pump below the tub. It's really a bad design and it was never this difficult in the past, but now there is quite a bit of work involved to clear the drain so unless you're really handy, this is not something you'll want to tackle yourself.To access the drain pump, you need to pull the washer forward and unplug it. Pull the dispenser drawer completely off the washer. Next, remove the 2 bolts coming in from the back of the top panel. The top panel will pull straight back, up, and off. Remove the screws coming in through the dispenser opening and the screws coming from the inside of the washer going into the control panel. The control panel will then pull up and out of the way. At this point, you just have a few screws going across the top of the front panel to remove. Tip the wash back a bit and there are 2 screws in the bottom right and left corner you need to remove. Open the door and you need to disconnect the rubber door gasket. There is a wire ring around the front lip of the rubber door gasket. Use a flat head screwdriver and pry the wire ring off the gasket. Now you can remove the front panel to access the drain pump located under the drum attached to the drain catch.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with? If not, please remember to rate my service to complete our conversation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm having someone come out - my bottom panel is different.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure what you mean. I didn't say anything about a bottom panel. The entire front must be removed. But yes it's under warranty so I would suggest calling a technician out as I mentioned before.