Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a new GE dishwasher. When we remodeled our kitchen

Customer Question

I have a new GE dishwasher. When we remodeled our kitchen and re-installed our bosch dishwasher it wasn't working properly so we got a new GE one but it is doing the same thing. A few minutes into the wash cycle it will just stop working and beep occasionally. Water will fill the bottom of the unit so I thought maybe it isn't draining properly but I attached the hose to a bucket and it drains into that fine but the problem still occurs. Any ideas what is going on?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
It still sounds like a drain issue. If you put the drain into a bucket I would be willing to be that it doesn't stop after a few minutes like it was when the drain line was connected to the disposal. My guess would be that your disposal is brand new and the knock out plug was never removed so it won't allow the water from the dishwasher to drain into the disposal so you'll need to remove the knock out plug to allow the unit to drain properly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The last two times I ran the dishwasher I had it set to drain into the bucket and the same thing happens - the water from the previous attempt drains out, the DW refills, it runs for a couple minutes, then stops and beeps. And I don't have a disposal.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure what to say so I'll opt out because if it's getting water and it's draining you'll likely need to call warranty to get anything fixed without voiding the warranty because if it fills and drains, it's not an installation issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Is there a high loop in the drain line, so the water is not siphoning out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a high loop in the drain line (everything I've read said there was supposed to be one). The high loop is still there while I have it set to drain into the bucket, so water can get through it.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so when it stops running and starts beeping, there is water in the tub when you open the door? What was the original dishwasher doing when you replaced it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes there is still water in the tub when it stops. When I turn it off and re-start the cycle the first thing that happens is it drains out all the old water, then it re-fills itself, runs for a minute or two, then stops and beeps (with new water now in the bottom of the machine).The old machine (which was only about a year old) would do something similar - I wasn't watching the whole time but I had set it with a load of dishes and when I eventually opened it the dishes were still dirty, the soap was undissolved and there was water in the bottom of the unit. I guess its possible two relatively new machines broke down with the same issues but I thought it seemed more likely to do with installation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can water pressure be a factor for this kind of thing?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
If there is water in the tub when it stops, there has to be an issue with the controller. Is the machine grounded well through the wiring connections? Did this problem start only after a remodel?
As far as water pressure, yes, it could be too low. It is set to a time fill on the control with the use of a flow washer in the valve. Is the water pressure very, very low? It only needs about 25 psi, maybe less, to work correctly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the problem started after a complete kitchen remodel.The water pressure seems lower in the kitchen than it was before the remodel, but its not terribly low so I guess that's not the issue.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I would look closely at the wiring, making sure the polarity (line voltage and neutral, black and white wires) is correct and there is a good ground connection. That is very important when electronics are involved. If that all checks good, you will need to call for warranty service at 1-800-GE-CARES.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks, I'll re-check the wiring then.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I would start there but not disassemble the machine any further. Have a great afternoon!