Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

I have a layer of ice forming under the basket in my bottom

Customer Question

I have a layer of ice forming under the basket in my bottom freezer.Is something plugged
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.
Hi, the drain line is plugged. Inside the freezer behind the back panel there is a drain hole for the defrost water. Every 8 hours or so a defrost heater comes on and melts the frost off the evaporator. It's a couple ounces of water at a time. When the line is blocked the water rolls forward and freezes.
You can fix this by removing the back panel inside and pouring hot water down the drain line. At the end of the line on the back you'll find a rubber piece. The rubber piece is most likely clogged with lint/debris slowing the flow of water down during defrost.
We work on the honor system here at Just Answers. Were not credited for our work until you rate our answers positively. After you rate our answers positively the question does not close. You can come back and ask follow up questions for no additional charge.
Thank you