Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

I have a whirlpool duet and the door won't unlock.

Customer Question

Hello, I have a whirlpool duet and the door won't unlock. Drained fine. I was able to open the bottom and reach up and pull the tab but nothing disengaged.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.
Hi, have you tried unplugging the washer for several minutes? It's possible that might unlock the door. When you're pulling on the loop on the end of the door lock pull hard on the door. The PTC must be stuck inside the door lock. You will need to replace the door lock most likely anyways. Pull on the loop straight down and pull out on the door at the same time. The door should open.
Let me know what happens.
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello,That was the first thing I did. I did unplug it to reset it. I pulled on both pretty hard and nothing. When I get to the machine I'll give it another good tug and let you know what happens.Chris
Yes, the relay inside the lock must have failed. Unfortunately, you will need to pull down hard on the loop and hard on the door. The door lock may potentially break but it will need to be replaced anyways because it has failed.