John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I recently bought a whirpool refrigerator and the water tastes

Customer Question

I recently bought a whirpool refrigerator and the water tastes awful store gave us another filter, water was good for a few days but now it is back to tasting bad model wrs586fldb00. what could be wrong
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 34 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 60,000 phone and internet repairs under my belt.
The issue is not the refrigerator ,it has no way of changing the taste of your water.
Do you have a high calcium content in your local water supply?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
well then if that is true why does the water out of the tap taste just fine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I find that your answer is unacceptable due to my last comment to you that the tap water is fine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so what is the answer
The reason the tape water is fine is one the calcium minerals in the water get cold and of freezer the chemical compound of the mineral changes state (form)
The reason you taste it is the plastic water tubing with in the unit starts to absorbed the chemical properties and it becomes concentrated.
To get rid of the smell you will have to change all the plastic tubing with in the unit PLUS provide a better filter system to the refrigerator ,the in product filter only filter out sediment in the water ,not chemicals in the water.
This is a issue mainly in the southern states that have a high calcium mineral content in the water systems .