Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

My whirlpool frig is too warm. already replaced defrost timer

Customer Question

My whirlpool frig is too warm. already replaced defrost timer kit and bi metal defrost thermostat. it ran good for around 3 weeks. it was awesome. now it is too warm again.
'
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dave. Is the back of the freezer frosted again?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no it is not frosted this time
Is the back wall in the freezer cold? Any frost at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No frost at all this time/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the freezer is cold but I haven't felt the back wall. I did look for frost and there wasn't any this time. last time the frost was at the bottom of the door and around that area
Do you have the model number so I can be more specific?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ed5fhgxkt02
Thanks. There is a fan in the freezer and one underneath. Are they both running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes they are running
There is a good possibility it is just starting to frost up behind the back wall. Can you feel a film of frost on the metal cover? How thick is it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not there right now. I am at work. if it is frosting up what do I need to do?
Do you recall a loose wire on the timer that you replaced that needed to attach to one of the terminals? Do you recall were you attached the wire?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I attached it to the appropriate terminal per the schematics that were sent with it. the diagram was the 8 to 10 hour timer
If there is frost starting to build up the wire may be on the wrong terminal or the time may have failed. Let me know what you see on the back panel and we will go from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not at home right now and I can't be there until later this evening. So I guess I will have to figure this out later. I was wondering if maybe I needed to replace the thermostat assembly or damper controls. I truly don't think there is any frost build up on the back wall.
The main thermostat in the refrigerator controls run time. If the refrigerator is not running at all or only for short times it could be the problem. The damper will only affect refrig temps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The refrigerator is definitely running. I just thought maybe something else was wrong other than the parts that I had already replaced because it ran fine for three weeks with the new parts.
If the timer is mis wired it take a while to frost enough to block airflow. With low humidity this can take weeks. It would be odd to have a different problem this soon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. when I get home I will check this out and hope for the best. Thank you very much for your help.. You have been awesome.
Glad to help. Let me know what you see.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK THANKS
.
Hello, do you have an update? Do you still need help?