Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

GE microwave model # ***** just quit working. this is

Customer Question

GE microwave model # ***** just quit working. this is an over the stove model, even the exhaust fan and light stopped working. complete power failure. what part would I need to fix it.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
There are several fuses inside the microwave that will cut power to the entire unit, but to access all of them you will need to un-install the entire microwave and remove the screws going into the outer shell. Then pull the outer shell straight back, up, and off. Below is a breakdown diagram of your microwave and I have circled all 3 fuses. The primary fuse is mounted into the small noise filter board labeled as part 42. It's a 1" long cylinder fuse. The other two fuses are small dime sized round fuses 74 and 41. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with? If not, please remember to rate my service to complete our conversation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you know when I plugged the microwave back in it started to work again for a week or so then I quit again. when I plugged it back in this time it started to work for a second then quit again (lost total power) then a couple of minutes late it came back on again. can this be the main board?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, fuses wouldn't act that way so if it's randomly cutting out then you need a new main control board. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.