Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a maytag quiet series clothes washer. It is 10 years

Customer Question

I have a maytag quiet series clothes washer. It is 10 years old. When it is agitating & in the spin cycle, there is a loud grinding sound it sounds like metal on metal
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Do you have a model number so I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker below the lid down near the hinges or on the back of the control panel on the far back left.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would it be mav5920EEW
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you there
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Yes that's it thank you. So you just need to tip the washer backwards and remove the belt below the washer. Turn all 3 pulleys and one of them should be grinding or not spinning smoothly. The center pulley will have "springy" resistance one direction but not the other and that is normal. Either way, most likely the pulley on the right side likely the one making noise and that is your drain pump which the bearing fails often so the drain pump would need to be replaced to fix the issue.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Sorry , yes I was just typing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry it showed you were off line. Is the drain pump hard to replace
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
No not at all, the part number is ***** and below is a video that shows you how to replace it. CLICK HERE for video
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
No problem and good luck to you. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with? If not, please remember to rate my service to complete our conversation.