John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Trying to replace my dryer motor. The old motor had 4wires

Customer Question

Trying to replace my dryer motor. The old motor had 4wires 2 red Numbered 1 and 2 and 2 white numbered 4 and 5 on the old style terminal block. I assume the red stay connected to the 1 and 2 terminals on the new motor. It seems logical that they carry the 110 to the motor. The other wires I assume are connected to show the motor is running before the heater comes on. I have no idea which terminals to connect to. It mentions black white and blue wires in the paperwork. Has anyone experienced this and solved where to connect the wires?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Care replied 1 year ago.
I will be glad to help you with your question today.
If your dryer does not have a end of cycle buzzer then the two white wires would go to terminals 4 & 5. The heavy RED wires would go to 1 & 2 and they carry the voltage to the heater once the motor gets up to speed.
I would check to see if you have 120v going to the two white wires.
Do you have a wiring diagram on the dryer somewhere?
It seems odd that you have two white wires, unless it is very old. Whirlpool has used the same color code on their motors for years, Blue, White, Black and Red
Again, check the two white wires and see if you have 120 volts across them, with the door switch attached and door closed and the timer set to 30 min and press the start button