John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Bear with me... I am a recent single parent who has not had

Customer Question

Bear with me...
I am a recent single parent who has not had to deal with frig repairs before but...I have been reading online articles all day and watched a couple of videos then hit your site.
My KitchenAide is about 20 years old and about a month ago we noticed our ice cream was not staying frozen and now we haven't bought any for a while. Today I noticed our milk was not very cold.
I pulled off the vent cover on the bottom/front of the unit, cleared the dust from the front as much as possible but I don't have a "frig brush" so couldn't get too far back but, honestly, the coils seem only SLIGHTLY covered with dust. I also emptied the tray which had a bit of water in it. I pulled the unit away from the wall and cleared a bit of dust from around the condenser. MAYBE this helped? I guess I won't know for about 24 hours or so?? Any other suggestions??
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
To get any idea of what is occurring, you'd need to remove the lower back panel inside your freezer to see what the silver evaporator coils look like. If you can remove everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel to expose the silver coils look at the frost and are the coils packed with frost or lightly frosted from top to bottom? Some frost on top but not on bottom? etc...
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Don't have the tools I need to do that right now - will have to continue this tomorrow.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
OK just let me know what you find when you can.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

will do - thanks

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
no problem