Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My cabrio makes a rattling noise when in spin cycle

Customer Question

Hello. My cabrio makes a rattling noise when in spin cycle pumping out the water...and then the machine stop and beeps and displays error code "oL" no matter the size of the load. At this point I can change the selection to "drain and spin" and it finishes just fine. I'm considering putting it on its side and opening the pump to see if there's an obstruction in there...but don't want to be overly aggressive if I don't need to. I've already removed both hoses from inside the washer and cleaned and reinstalled (clear and black hoses behind back)
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
The rattling noise and the OL noise may not be related, but if you think the noise is coming from below the unit the first thing I'd do is tip the washer back and remove the drain pump to check for something inside the pump. It's possible the pump has something inside it causing it to drain too slowly which will give too much drag on the basket giving you an OL error. Other than that if you find nothing and the noise isn't coming from the drain pump, then you may have a slightly different issue adding additional friction to the basket. Another possibility is that the basket is not sliding up and down on the center shaft properly so it won't engage properly right away. To fix the problem if the basket is not floating you will have to take the washer apart. Below are the steps to follow if you are mechanically able to tackle it:1. Unplug the power cord
2. Lift the top of the washer up, to do this there are 2 latches in the seams between the top and the bottom sections. These latches are about 6 1/2 inches from the right side and left side of the washer. You need to insert a small screwdriver (be careful not to scratch the paint) and push the latch while lifting the top section.
3. The top will actually fold back leaving the inner tube fully exposed. Support the glass lid so it doesn’t get damaged because it is very heavy and will fall open when you flip the top back.
4. Remove the plastic top of the tub. There is one hose connected at the back and there are several snaps around the outer edge that hold it on. Remove the hose and unsnap the snaps and set it aside.
5. Remove the cap covering the very center of the agitator. It is just snapped in place and can be pried off with a small screwdriver.
6. Remove the center screw under the cap.
7. Remove the agitator, you need to lift it evenly and might have to work your way around by pulling on one of the three fins and then the next and so on. I also had luck using a small pair of needle nose pliers and grabbing a small lip inside the area where the screw was and pulling from there.
8. Remove the 6 Phillips screws in the middle holding the plastic top gear in place. Be very careful you don’t drop one of the screws because it can fall through the slots in the basket and be lost below.
9. Remove the plastic top gear.
10. Pull the plastic lower gear off of the splined shaft. It should pull right off.
11. Now you need to pull the basket up and off of the shaft. This is where you might have problems because the basket might be corroded to the shaft. If you can grab the basket on both sides under the outer lip and pull upward it might pull up. If not, then you will have to figure out a way to get it off.
12. Once the basket is off you will notice there is liquid inside of it. That is factory sealed in there so do not worry about that, it is normal.
13. With the basket is off you will be able to see that the shaft is probably corroded and the inside bearing on the basket is corroded. Clean these both off very good and check to see if the basket can easily go back on the shaft and slide up and down without getting stuck. You may need to sand and file the shaft a little bit to get it totally cleaned up. The inner bearing of the basket is plastic so it is pretty easy to clean with light sanding.
14. Reassemble in the reverse order and your done. Check to make sure the basket can easily float now by pulling up on it from the top inside lips.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with? If not, please remember to rate my service to complete our conversation.