Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I was changing the light bulb in my GE convection oven and

Customer Question

I was changing the light bulb in my GE convection oven and when twisting the attachment a spark occurred ( shorted out?) and the oven and the one below it has gone out
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
So this is quite a big problem I'm afraid to say. Try to flip the circuit breaker off and back on to see if the breaker was partially tripped. If that doesn't fix the issue then unfortunately your main control board for the oven has shorted out. Even though the spark often seems small between the the bulb and socket, there is no fuse or surge protector between the board and the bulb socket so it shorts out the board. The oven of course would need to be unplugged or the breaker turned off when replacing the light bulb to prevent this from occurring.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So do I need a new oven then ?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
That's up to you if you want to replace the oven or the control board, but this isn't just an issue you can reset. The control board would need to be replaced or if you wanted to to fix the oven you can replace the oven as well of course.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What does it typically cost to replace a control board ?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
That depends on the model number, but the control board is usually about $200 and if you had a technician replace the part it would be about $150 for trip and labor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. That's not too bad. Thanks
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
No problem but I'm very sorry about the bad news today. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I will thanks
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
thank you in advance as well.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with? If not, please remember to rate my service to complete our conversation.