Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Two out of four cook tops cannot fire up, not even by matc

Customer Question

Two out of four cook tops cannot fire up, not even by match.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a model number for your cooktop? What brand is it?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
If this is a Kitchen Aid unit, then either these burners are not related to one another so you'll need to treat each burner as it's separate problem although the process for each will be the same to determine what is wrong and repair it. Remove the burner grates and remove the burner caps on the burners that aren't functioning. Look down the center hole and you'll see a brass orifice way down the center. Use a needle or a toothpick and clean out the tiny hold in the center of the brass orifice. Re-assemble the burner and see if the burner will light with a match yet. If not, then the gas valve for that burner has failed and would need to be replaced. The gas valve is the part that the knob is attached to which you turn to adjust the burner and turn it on.
We are on the honor system here.  Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with? If not, please remember to rate my service to complete our conversation.