Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

My Whirlpool dishwasher. When I select wash cycle and press

Customer Question

My Whirlpool dishwasher. When I select wash cycle and press start it just beeps and blinks and won't start
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for requesting me!
May I have the model number of the unit to better assist you.open the door it should be on the right side of the tank face frame.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Unfortunately this dishwasher is my 2nd home that I will be at Thursday. It is a Whirlpool Gold Series that is about 3 years old
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has been doing this for about a month. It has worked a couple of times and when it did work it felt like maybe the door closed a certain way. May be my imagination
Ok so just copy this conversations URL and replay back when you can .
Whirlpool gold series has about 20-30 different models in that series.
When it blinks how long does it blink for after you press start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. It only beeps and blinks for a few seconds then stops.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model was like a MDTPAY710. Maybe
yes check the door strike ,the control board does not sense that the door is closed
On the top of the tank is a door strike ,try moving it up and down and close the door and try to start the unit.
normally the strike get bent down out of spec.
Let me know if you have any questions or it works or does not work.
The MDTPAY710 looks like part of a Maytag number but it is not complete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Sorry I am not in front of machine. Can I continue our session Thursday when I am ?
Yes just copy the conversations URL and save it to your favorites and reply back when you can.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I am now at my dishwasher. It is a Whirlpool Model # ***** The latch lever is on tub and female part on door. Appears normal. Thanks for your help with this and washing dishes by hand really sucks ūüė©
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you help me out ?
Sorry I do not stay on line 24 hours a day .
And you will still need to play with the male striker move it up and down after each move try to run the unit
The beeping and blinking is telling you the door is not closed, so either the strike needs to be adjusted or the door latch is broken and will need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok..tried this several times and continues to beep and blink. If I push cancel it will run thru some brief cycle
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok..I continued to play with latch and got it started. So do I need to replace male part ? Or could it have something to do some malalignment in the installation. Seems like a little movement when I push on top of tub ? Thanks for your help
You will need to decide what part is needed ,if you move just the strike plate on the top of the tub and it works it is normally just the strike plate need adjusted some .
If you feel it is internal of the door then the switch assembly would need to be replaced
The strike plate on the top of the tank should not need replaced unless it has been mangled or destroyed it should just be an adjustment issue with the strike plate if you feel it is the issue.
If you do feel it is the switch assembly
here is the latch kit that also comes woth a new strike plate.
http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Door-Latch/W10619006/3198192 ?rcaid=1000070
If you have any questions just reply back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Now trying to run another load and I try same thing and does not work after trying it 10 times. I open push lever up and down and close and attempt to start and just beeps and flashes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Keep trying to move strike plate up and down and restart and nothing. How do I know that it is the problem ? I want to make sure before I replace or have to call a repair person. I really need it to work this weekend. Any suggestions
to watch it work open the door all the way and remove the top door pane screws from the inside of the door the four across the top and one one the side down about four inches and close the door and fold the console open and you can see the door latch operate and even program the unit push the door latch switch and see if the unit then will start if it does you know it is an adjustment issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do you "fold the console open" ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I removed 4 screws off the top and 2 on the side. Can't get anything to come apart or "fold down". What am I doing wrong ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. After I removed the 6 screws and close it. It will now start. But could never fold down the console. Why would removing the 6 screws now make it work ??? Should I just replace the whole latch mechanism ? I am baffled. Really appreciate your help
after the screws are out you should be able to lift up and the front of the console will be able to fold /lean forward so you then have access to the rear of the console.
And yes I would replaced the latch assembly
Here is the parts break down of the console.
http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_png/PLDM/W1205207-00002.png
The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau.
They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year!
They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!
http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Door-Latch/W10619006/3198192?replacedManufacturerPartNumber=w10380262?rcaid=1000070
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your reply. It is working with 6 of the screws out of the door. Do I need to remove more of the screws down the sides to fold console down. Doesn't seem to want to fold down with just the 5 screws out. I will order the parts you suggested. Is it easy to replace the latch mechanism ? Thank you for all of your help
no it should just be the two on the sides and the ones across the top of the door and it should come right off /loose.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you see pics I sent you ? Doesn't come very loose with the 6 screws out. Buttons console is still on pretty tight and doesn't easily come off.
I saw THE picture that you sent the same picture twice but it was only one of the door open and the screws out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the one pic twice sorry. But doesn't seem to easily come loose. Is the facing of DW and part with buttons all 1 piece ? Seems like I will break something if I pull back on facing and button console. But it works now with the 6 screws out. I will order latch assembly and get back with you in a week or so. Thanks again
yes the console assembly as in the part break down is all one assembly coming off the door ,if you feel that you can not get it odd then remove the rest of the screws on the inner door panel and the door panel should lift off the door frame ,you will need to unplug the detergent dispenser .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello it's me again. I am back at my dishwasher and I have the new latch assembly parts that you said to order. How difficult is it to replace and where can I get instructions/diagram ? I am very much an appliance novice so I appreciate the help
I show the latch assembly should have come with instructions on how to replace the latch and strike assemblies.Did it not do that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I came with a very crude parts list but no detailed instructions whatsoever
ok this is not for your exact part but it is for a latch on a Whirlpool model and they are all about the same and in the same location.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G76WtT4tuI
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks. But it is working every time with the 5 screws removed. Weird. Looks like replacing the strike plate part may be difficult ? Will check out video
the strike plate is easy to replace it just pushes in the slot and it locks in place.Here is a video for that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ40fBTrsbs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great thank you. I am going to gently put screws back in and see if it keeps working before I replace latch. You have been extremely helpful and responsive !
No problem always glad to assist you anytime.