Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. working for a major domestic appliance company. Numerous training programs with cities, guilds and major manufacturers.
14831508

My washer started chiming mid cycle like the door wasn't shut

Customer Question

My washer started chiming mid cycle like the door wasn't shut . Now I can't get it open and it won't complete the cycle. I've tried unplugging it and turning it off, Any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cycle stopped mid spin and the door won't open..it chimes like the door is not shut. I tried unplugging it and tried turning it off and back on , neither worked
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The door is not shut tight, but won't open or close. It's a Maytag Neptune heavy duty washer. Not sure where to find the model number
Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
Welcome, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your problem today. If anything isn't clear, please just ask me.
Im so sorry that no one else has responded to you.
Apologies for my delay in replying, I only just came online and saw your question. Are you still looking for help with this?
Please don't rate my answer until we have explored all possible avenues. Please just use the reply button to contact me.
This sounds like the lock has failed
Can you tell me is this a top or front loader?
Thanks
Rob
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is a FRONT LOADING washer
Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
Hi
OK, so is there water still in the drum along with the clothes?
Thanks
Rob
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
don't think so, looks like it wasin spinnning process
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you familiar with the Maytag Neptune series?
Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
OK
So, if theres no water in there It sounds like the handle has broken.
Disconnect from the mains
Remove the lid and lean the machine back at 45 degrees
Look inside towards the door lock
You’ll see the latch sticking through the lock
Slide this across and the door will open
If the handle is broken, take photographs before you dismantle it to replace it, they are notoriously difficult to re assemble without a picture
If you need more help, please just ask
In the meantime, Can I ask you to take a moment and rate my responses so far? Please use the smiley faces / stars, which you should now see. Please remember you are rating me personally, not the website or the problems you have had with this machine.
This will not close your question and you can still come back to me if you need more help
Thanks
Rob
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this doesn't make sense to me...the handle would break in the middle of a spin cycle? The door is no longer shut tight and the machine was chiming, which normally means it won't start the wash....it had 9 minutes left of a 55 minute cycle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this sounds like it lets me unlock the door, but not that anything is fixed
Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
Hi
I can only go by yor description of the fault. It still sounds like either the handle or the lock.
Either can fail in the spin cycle due to the movement of the drum.
Given that the door wont open, I would still say its one or the other and you need to release it as per my directions above
Thanks
Rob
Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
We need to get the door open before we can do anything else
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay, I'll sort this out later as its too early in the morning
Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
OK