Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

I cleaned my GE Monogram stand-alone refrig the other day and

Customer Question

I cleaned my GE Monogram stand-alone refrig the other day and now it won't cool down past 42 degrees. Is there a reset button of some sort?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.
Hi, what is the model number?
Is the compressor running? Is the fan in the freezer running?
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a stand-alone GE Monogram refrigerator, not attached to freezer. The compressor is running, everything sounds normal. I did notice a little ice build-up on the back near the bottom when I was almost done cleaning it on Thursday but its just about gone now. Found the temp at 56 degrees Thursday night so I unplugged it and it has cooled down to 42 degrees but can't get it past that. The model number is *****
Thank you. You hear the fan running inside the refrigerator right? Have you removed the back panel inside yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The compressor coils were vacuumed yesterday, too
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I hear the fan running - no I haven't removed the panel inside
The problem is going to be freon related or a defrost issue. The back panel will need to be removed to see the evaporator. We need to look at the frost pattern on the evaporator behind the back panel inside. If you only have frost at the top corner, the freon has leaked out of the system. If the frost is super thick, you have a defrost issue. Every 8 hours for 3 minutes the auto defrost kicks in and melts the frost. If the auto defrost did not kick in, the frost would build up so thick the fan could not pull air around the evaporator. If the evaporator is heavily frosted, you need to test several parts. The defrost heater, and defrost thermostat. The heater on the bottom of the evaporator should have continuity. In a glass of ice water the defrost thermostat should read less than one ohm.
We work on the honor system here at Just Answers. Were not credited for our work until you rate our answers positively. After you rate our answers positively the question does not close. You can come back and ask follow up questions for no additional charge.
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its definitely not at the top corner of the grate (on the back of the inside of the refrigerator) - its more on the bottom of that grate, more on the left side of it. And there's just a tiny bit, not much at all. What about unplugging it for 24 hours and also trying to melt that little bit with a hair dryer?
You can unplug it for 24hr and let it defrost. It will cool for another 5-7 days before it happens again. You need to remove the back panel to figure out what's going on.
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So you think this was just a coincidence that it happened right when I was cleaning it, or did leaving the door open freeze something up? I can take the panel off but I don't think there will be much frost there, as there is barely any visible at all.
Just stuck my finger in the trough below the vent and there's thick black grease/gunk sitting in there on the left side. Perhaps its clogging something?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One more thing, I lifted the access panel on top of refrigerator and I can see the fan but it isn't turning. Other things are working but is that fan supposed to be turning all the time?