Phil
Phil, Shop owner
Experience:  Degree, Mech. engr. shop owner. 51 years experience
23932409

I have Magic Chef Wine & Beverage cooler with dual temp zones

Customer Question

I have Magic Chef Wine & Beverage cooler with dual temp zones (#MCWBC77DZC). Purchased October 2014. I noticed that there is ice build up on lower fan in back and along the bottom of the shelf. No error codes and it's still cooling. What is wrong? How can I fix?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! We keep going until you have all of the information you need.[b/]. Extensive training & coaching also available.

Here is the manual in case you want to look it over.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/97375/Magic-Chef-Mcwbc77dzc.html?page=8#manual

That unit uses what we call a 'passive defrost'... in other words the box cools down to the thermostat set point, then the compressor goes off, and the fans inside keep running, blowing 45 or 50F air over then coil and the frost melts.

The colder you run the box the less well that sort of defrost works especially as you approach 35F or so.

A door gasket that is not sealing all the way around will exacerbate the problem.. you can test that with strips of paper, close the door on a strip of paper, and if the paper stays in place and presents resistance when you try to pull it out the door gasket is sealing in that area.... test all the way around the door.

Let me know what temperature you are running the box at.

We can go from there without a time limit.

........

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge.

.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Tested gasket. It is fine. The temps are 55 in upper portion and 52 in lower portion.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.

You should not be seeing that problem at those relatively warm temperatures.... water freezes at 32F... there is no way ice should be forming in a 52F box.

Put a thermometer in the box to double check the temperature, let me know what you can discover.

.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That's what I thought. I have a thermometer in there now. So far, it's sticking at 54F...

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,

The air temperature off the coils should be running 20F colder than the box. That is 34F in this case. above the freezing point of water.

However if the box is loaded in such a way as to restrict the air flow across the coil and air circulation inside the box, the coil will run colder, and would discharging air below 32F and frosting the shelf in front of the fan.

Try removing a few items in the box, and freeing up space in front of the fan so that air can circulate better. Let me know how that goes.

.....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Actually, there wasn't much in the refrigerator to begin with and that's how I noticed the ice build up on the fan and back bottom of the shelf. There is nothing in front of the fan the couple of cans that are in the unit are on the front sides

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** possible that a piece of paper got drawn up inside the fan coil section and is blocking the air flow 30 to 50% or so, that would cause the problem.

You can remove the shelves and take the front cover off of fan coil to inspect that..

.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We turned the unit off and let it defrost. Then, we turned it back on. It has not frozen back up; however, the lower unit will not cool down to the temperature that it is set on. It has been staying on 51F.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,

Look at the back of the unit for two fairly large black finned protrusions, 4 to 6 inches square, tell me if you find them or not.. if you do, clean them off.

If you do not find them look for a roundish soft ball sized item that feels warm on top.

Make sure there is air movement around the back and sides of the unit.

We can go from there.

.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They are/were clean. There is air movement -- the unit is sitting at an angle in a corner of the room... no walls, etc blocking sides or back.

Thanks

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
That leaves us with a bad control module, since if just one of the finned modules were bad, and the control module would operate the good module to cool its section of the cooler properly.

none the less we should check.... feel the black fins on each module periodically to see if one is warm or hot and the other is room temperature at any point in time, or if both cycle warm at the same time etc, and how much they cycle per hour.

We can go from there.

.