Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

My kenmore washer starts and begins to engage but then sto

Customer Question

my kenmore washer starts and begins to engage for about 1 second but then stops.  once it is stopped the 'Lid Lock' light blinks even after the machine is off.  the lid does indeed lock.  the machine made a slight plastic grinding noise prior to problems.

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.
Hi, two things normally cause this issue. The belt has slipped off the pulley or the actuator is bad. Tip the machine back and look at the belt. The pulley is known for coming off and causes the belt to fall off. If the belt and pulley are fine, the actuator must be toast. The actuator is what moves the transmission from wash to spin. They have been known to cause issues like this. You can purchase the actuator from the link below or any local appliance parts house.
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/kenmore-washer-parts/W10006355/0026/110/model-11028002011/0582/0153200.html
We work on the honor system here at Just Answers. Were not credited for our work until you rate our answers positively. After you rate our answers positively the question does not close. You can come back and ask follow up questions for no additional charge.
Thank you