Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

GE bottom freezer ice maker makes no ice cubes, drips a bunch

Customer Question

GE bottom freezer ice maker makes no ice cubes, drips a bunch of water into the ice bucket leading to a giant frozen mass. This problem was resolved once in the past by purging the water line leading into the freezer but I can't figure out how that was done. Seems to have gotten considerably worse after changing the water filter.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question.
Check and make sure the line is going into the trough on the icemaker. Make sure it is not out or pushed in too far causing splash over. Check that first and let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there an easy way to check without disassembling the freezer again? I took a look and I can't see a line as such running into the ice maker, it looks like water comes down a chute cast into the plastic. I've had the ice maker off for quite a while in light of this issue, should I turn it on so I can get a better idea where the water may be dripping from?
Yes turn it on and see if you can narrow down the leak. It may be from the icemaker itself. The icemaker might be leaking through the unit itself if it is not splashing over the trough.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The ice maker's been on for about 24 hours now and produced a good number of ice cubes. The ones at the very back of the bucket are frozen down to the bucket, and you can see from the photos that icicles are starting to form from the bottom of the ice maker. I don't see any corresponding drips from the feed into the ice maker.
Yes either the mold is leaking or water is splashing or partially going around the trough on the icemaker causing the leak. I think you have a bad icemaker.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are there any other diagnostic steps I can take? A replacement seems like it'll run at least $200.Is the ice maker secured just by the 3 screws in the sides, so I can remove & inspect it for damage?
Yes it just is held in by 3 screws, remove it and take a look at it. You could even pour water in the trough and see if it leaks out the bottom when you have it out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, so I tried to remove the ice maker to inspect for damage/leaks but it wouldn't come out.Referring to the attached pictures, I removed the 3 screws marked with red arrows. The ice maker felt free at the 3 corresponding corners but seemed to still be attached at a fourth point, marked with a blue arrow. I didn't have any luck getting it to let go at that point despite a bunch of wiggling in all directions. Can you give me more information on this connection point and how to release it? Is it just a friction fit and I need to pull harder? Can you point me to maybe a reference image so I can see how it looks apart?It also occurred to me that maybe I was supposed to remove the 3 screws marked in green. Are these the 3 screws you were referring to?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Forgot to attach the pictures to the previous post, sorry.
The two vertical screws come out then that unit slips straight back(towards the door) and it will drop out. It is on two other yoke pegs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So just the front 2 green marked screws?
Yes and then it slips back towards the door.