Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a maytag msd2556aew that works occasionally. It will get very cold, freeze solid,

Customer Question

I have a maytag msd2556aew that works occasionally. It will get very cold, freeze solid, but will shut down if left running after a day or so. I realize it is some kind of relay that is bad, but could you tell me which one?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
This means that your compressor is overloading and cutting out. It will turn off for a few minutes and then try again over and over. Pull the refrigerator forward and unplug the refrigerator. Remove the lower back access panel and locate your large black round compressor. There is a small plastic box attached to the side of the compressor with several wires going into it. This is your overload relay. Pull the overload relay off the compressor and shake it. If it rattles, then it needs to be replaced. If it doesn't rattle, then you likely have a bad compressor and you'll need to call a technician in order to replace the compressor. Also, you can look at the compressor itself and look at the sticker on the compressor. If it's made by Embraco, the compressor is almost never the issue. If it's made by Tecumseh, the compressor is almost guaranteed to be the issue. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with? If not, please remember to rate my service to complete our conversation.