Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Microwave doesn't shut off when I open the door

Customer Question

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
So this issue can be caused by one of 2 things. Either one of your 3 door switches has failed and will need to be replaced, or your display control board has a stuck relay. There are 3 door switches and usually the bottom one is the one that fails, but you'd need to remove the outer shell of the microwave and test the switches to know for certain which switch is bad. Below is a link to a video that shows you how to test the actual door switches inside your microwave to know which one to replace. Now access on your microwave is completely different however. You will need to remove 2 screws coming in from the right and left side toward the bottom and upper front edges. Then remove the screws coming in from the back of the microwave along the top, right and left edges. Once all the screws are removed, the entire outer shell will pull straight back, up, and off so that you can test the switched through the right side of the microwave. Some of the screws are star shaped with a pin in the middle so you'll need a size T-20 safety torx bit screwdriver to remove these screws. CLICK HERE for videoWe are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
And I forgot to mention that if all 3 door switches check good, that means your relay on the display board is stuck and the entire display board would need to be replaced.