Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Kenmore HE2 Plus washer model 100.47512601 and it

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore HE2 Plus washer model 100.47512601 and it is giving error code F27 and making a rattling noise in the drain area. I have cleared the drain catch and the hose leading to it as far as i can feel. After doing so I ran a 'cleaning cycle' which seemed to run fine until about 16 minutes remained on the 40 minute cycle. The noisy rattle resumed and the washer stopped draining and gave the F27 code again. I manually unlocked the door and drained the tub again, removed the drain catch to check for debris but there was none. I ran a diagnostic on the machine according to the technician manual i found inside the front panel when i removed it. Once the washer filled with water and i suppose was trying to drain, the noise and the code returned. I have turned off the water supply to the washer and disconnected the power. However, it will not drain. I'm wondering if there is something further up in the 'bulb' of the drainage tube where it connects to the washer that is causing the noise and vibration. Is this something I can disconnect myself and check? I'm a single mom who just lost her job so I am trying hard to do this myself. Thanks for your help
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
F27 is an Overflow Condition error. If the Overflow contact on the pressure switch is closed for more than 60 seconds an Overflow condition will occur. In an Overflow condition, the Door may remain locked, and the Drain Pump may run constantly, even if PAUSE/CANCEL is pressed twice and the Display is cleared. Unplug the unit to service. This is verbatim from the tech sheet. You will need to check to following: 1. First, UNPLUG the washer for at LEAST 30 minutes in an attempt to reset the Central Control Unit (CCU). Sometimes this is all that is required to correct momentary glitches with the unit. If the error code reappears, proceed to step 2.2. Check the drain hose and make sure it is not plugged or kinked.3. Check Wire Harness connectors to the Drain Pump, Pressure Switch, and Central Control Unit (CCU).4. Check/Clean Drain Pump Filter of foreign objects.5. Check for Drain Pump Failure.6. Check the Inlet Valve for proper shut off7. Check the Pressure switch for proper operation.1. Check the drain hose by removing it from the standpipe and pulling a vacuum on it with a shop vac. You may have an obstruction in the drain line or drain pump. It is also a good idea to check the drain hose just prior to the drain pump as well. This is the hose that attaches to the bottom of the tub and runs to the inlet side of the drain pump. This area can get clogged with small articles of clothing.2. Unplug the washer and remove the kick plate and top panel. Check for any loose connections at the drain pump, pressure switch (located in the right rear of the machine), and the CCU (located in the rear of the washer with all the wiring running to it). You may have a loose or dirty connection somewhere. If you remove any connectors, make sure you write down where they go. It's best to only remove ONE connector at a time when checking the CCU. On the pressure switch, make sure the clear tubing (air hose) is still attached. With the air hose off, loose, or leaking, the switch will not work and the tub will continue to try to fill. This may generate an F27 error.3. The drain pump. Remove the clean out cover on the pump and check for debris. Make sure you drain the water from the drain lines, pump and hoses PRIOR to removing the cover. Otherwise, you will have about a gallon or so of water to clean up. The shop vac method works great for this. Look for obstructions in the clean-out trap and impeller area of the pump.4. The inlet valve. If the inlet valve would fail in this manner, the tub would be trying to fill with water all the time and not shut off. You need to ask yourself if you find standing water in the tub when not in use.5. The “Sud” error. This occurs when air from too much detergent gets into the drain line. If you are using HE detergent, HOW MUCH are you using? Some things to consider: a. Do you have soft water? This can actually cause the soap to suds better making the need to cut back on how much you use.b. Look at the detergent container. Is it double or triple concentrated? Some detergents are sold as extra concentrated which means you need to cut back on the amount you use. Not doing so can cause the water to over suds.c. What size loads are you using the detergent in? Running small loads with the same amount of detergent can also cause an over suds condition.NOTE: Knowingly or unknowingly using the improper detergent on these model washers MAY void your manufacturer’s warranty. Read all instructions and documentation that comes with the appliance, thoroughly.Rule out the simple common sense things first. If everything else checks out and your problem still persists, you may have a component failure (more commonly, the CCU or pressure switch).I hope this information is found to be helpful
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you but this does not answer my question. I asked If and how i could disconnect the drainage 'tube' (my word because I'm not sure of the proper technical term) from where it connects to the washer and check for debris that may be causing the awful noise and vibration? Most of the information provided in your response cover things I explained I had already done. I have the technician service manual, but it does not contain any graphics so I am not sure what each of the listed parts look like. In order for me to check them I need to know where it is and what it looks like. A diagram of parts would be helpful.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
The only diagram of parts is the one below. CLICK HERE for diagram As far as disconnecting the hoses from the pump to remove the pump and check for it, well below is the best video I know of that shows you how to remove the pump so you can check inside for something creating that noise. CLICK HERE for video
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks...I am going to take a look at the video and see where that gets me. I will let you know once I've gone through it and looked at the diagrams, too...stay tuned
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK good luck.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with? If not, please remember to rate my service to complete our conversation.