Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I was going to clean the oven. The door latched activated but

Customer Question

I was going to clean the oven. The door latched activated but didn't catch the door closed. Now I can't inactivate the latch--even after turning power off. The model number is ***** profile dual fuel range. J2B918.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
This should actually be a fairly easy issue to fix. When the door gets locked open, you just need to trick the door into thinking that it's shut. So open the door and locate the door/light switch around the frame of the oven. Push the door switch in and hold it so that the oven thinks the door is shut. Now just start a self clean cycle and wait 60 seconds. Then cancel the self clean cycle and the door lock should open. At that point you can let go of the light switch and the oven should work normally.If that doesn't work, tape the door switch so it's pushed in and the oven thinks the door is shut. Then unplug the oven or turn power off at the breaker for 60 seconds and re-apply power and that will reset the latch if the latch hasn't failed. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So option one didn't work. The latch is making a small rattling/clanging noise, like maybe it's trying to connect with something when the door is closed or light button is pushed in. So I'll try option 2. Do I turn on the self cleaning function after taping light switch button down and before turning breaker off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
There is nothing to connect with, it sounds like the latch is just sticking. Don't worry about the self cleaning for option 2. Just tape the switch in, open the door and then flip the circuit breaker off or unplug the oven. Plug the oven back in after 60 seconds or flip the breaker back on and run to the front of the oven. Wiggle the latch as it sounds like it's stuck. If that doesn't work then you need to replace the latch because it failed.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with? If not, please remember to rate my service to complete our conversation.