Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Model JVM1540 I have a Model JVM1540DN1BB

Customer Question

i have a Model JVM1540
I have a Model JVM1540DN1BB microwave. It started beeping and the following message appears "keypad has shorted. Service may be needeed." I unplugged it. Left it unplugged for a while. Plugged it in. It told me to set the clock and then it started working properly. It then starting beeping and gave the same message. I unplugged it again. Any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
So this error is fairly straight forward. It means that your touch control panel has as internal short. Try to leave the unit unplugged for 24 hours in case steam or moisture got into the touchpad causing it to act up. If that doesn't work, the touch control panel will need to be ordered and replaced to resolve the issue. The part price is about $175 so it's not a cheap part at all, but if you're handy enough to replace it yourself it might be worth repairing still. Below is a link to the part you'd need to order for your model. CLICK HERE FOR TOUCHPAD We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for the prompt reply. i have already left it unplugged for over 24 hours so sounds like the panel needs to be replaced. unfortunately i'm not too handy at the repair part. probably would cost more to have someone come out and replace the panel, plus the cost of the panel than to buy a new microwave. thanks for your help!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Aye, if you can't replace the part yourself you'd definitely be better off just replacing the microwave unfortunately. I'm really sorry about the bad news today.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with? If not, please remember to rate my service to complete our conversation.