Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Dang Tyler up early, appreciated. I've spent multiple hours

Customer Question

Dang Tyler up early, appreciated. I've spent multiple hours on 110.95088400 (kenmore he4 dryer). Went through flow chart..ignitor glows gas ignites, stays lit for 10 seconds. Flow chart sent me through moisture sensor test, multimeter shows bad control board. What is your opinion?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
If the burner is shutting down early there are really only 2 options---either you have a weak gas coils or your vent is clogged and the flame is tripping the high limit thermostat. That being said, the burner isn't intended to stay on indefinitely when you turn the dryer on. The first time the burner lights should the the longest time that the flame is on which is usually around 20-25 seconds with an empty load if the dryer is completely cold. After that, the dryer has warmed up a bit so it doesn't take as long to get to temperature so about 10-15 seconds is pretty normal. Now if you have wet clothes inside, that would extend the amount of time the flame is on because it takes long to get up to temperature when there are wet clothes inside absorbing the heat. Either way, it's a constant process of the burner turning on and off over and over throughout the cycle and the burner is actually off more than it is on even when it's working properly. I would disconnect the vent hose behind the dryer and run a test cycle to see if anything changes. If it still dries poorly, then replace those 2 gas coils in the front of the igniter because it sounds like they are just weak.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well you were wrong so I'd rather not pay or rate you. And I don't want to be charged again. And it's still not fixed..
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure how that is possible since there are only 2 options, but have a nice day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So to continue to try and fix my dryer that's not working, I have to pay again to ask another question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You're not really a tech are you
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! It is not likely to be the control board unless the relay that controls the igniter is intermittent. If the vent is clear (including the filter housing and the lint screen) then you may have an issue with the thermistor, basically an electronic thermostat that changes resistance with temperature. The resistance is read by the control and the control then reacts accordingly. So, it is possible (albeit unlikely) that the thermistor is out of range or there is a poor connection that is adding resistance to the circuit. Do you have a meter to measure the resistance of the thermistor AT THE CONTROL so it reads through all of the connections? Is the behavior the same still as your initial post? Have you checked the temperature at the air vent outlet? If so, what were the temperatures when it cycled on and off?