Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

Whirlpool model G16Farxxy08 three door or french. Water in

Customer Question

Whirlpool model G16Farxxy08 three door or french. Water in door works but ice maker stoped geting water and there for no ice. Whats up?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an appliance expert here and I can help you tonight. Please tell me if there is currently frozen water or ice in the mold of the ice maker now?
And while you are there checking the ice maker, please get a flash light and shine it into the fill tube where the water will come into the ice maker and look to see if that tube is full of ice?
I can have you run a few simple checks to determine if the ice maker or ice maker water valve is faulty or if it is something else. When you are ready please answer my questions from above and come back here to let me know the answers and that you are ready to do some tests and we will begin.
I will look up your model number and get back to you hear in just a minute. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no sign of ice any where. No sign of moister at all. I can stick my finger under a plunger looking part at the back and move it up and down with ease. But no sign of water. No water or ice in mold. Dry. Just cold.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ready for test.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Okay.
You have the more recent model ice maker assembly that is in the refrigerator cabinet. It is really really common to fail as of late. Tell me first, when you pull the ice bucket out and look towards the back of the ice maker, can you see any spots of frost?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No frost only little white grainy powdery spots about the size of the tip of a very sharp pencel lead.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Thank you for checking that for me. There is a issue here with the fact that there is no water coming into the ice maker but yet there is no frozen spots on the evaporator. Which means the line shouldn't not be frozen.
After you pull the ice bucket out of the ice maker assembly you should feel and even see a small button under the ice maker itself on the right side of the front of the ice maker itself. This is the face fill ice maker button. Please hit and hold that button for 10-15 seconds and tell me if you get any water into the ice maker?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I find no button and see no button. the bottom is smoth plastic
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
This is the bottom of the ice maker itself. Just under the front of the ice maker mold. Not the cavity in which the whole ice maker assembly is housed. You will need to open the and remove the ice maker bin, then remove the front cover to the ice maker assembly itself. You will then see the button in the front right side of the ice maker.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Show me a picture of what you think I have.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
here is a shot of the exploded view diagrams of the ice maker and container in you machine. It will show the ice maker cabinetry in the top left side of the refrigerator cabinet. Will also show the style ice maker as well. Then the parts associated with it. I have seen it many many times before.
If you cant find the ice maker force fill button then I cant help you much more. other then tell you that it sounds like the main ice maker control board is failing. And will not send power to the ice maker which means it will not fill with water nor make ice because of that. You can try to go through the diagnostics on the format control board int he door to force a fill but that gets quite complicated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see no shot. I see no picture. This is a total wast of my time and yours.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/whirlpool-refrigerator-parts/model-GI6FARXXY08/1198/0161000/W1301045/00004.html
Here is the link you need to click on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The link shows an ice maker that I don't have. s/n k30517275. This unit is less than three years old.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
I am using the model number you posted above. Please type the model number you find off the model sticker located int he ref cabinet of your machine again please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thank you. I am tired and frustrated. The like you sent is of no help. My equipment looks nothing like what you sent. I thank you for your time. But this will not work.