Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a GE Microwave which I've had 1/2 years .

Customer Question

Hi , I have a GE Microwave which I've had for 1 1/2 years . It stopped heating and
I cannot figure out why. The only thing I noticed is on the control panel flashing
A picture of a microwave. Help please I use it all the time. Thanks Barbara
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
If the microwave still looks and sounds like it's working, but it's just not heating--that means your magnetron has likely failed. The magnetron is the part that actually creates the microwave to heat the food and it commonly goes bad and rarely gives a warning. The part itself costs about $90 but I'd check your manual to see if there is a 5 year warranty on this part. Sometimes GE will put a 5 year warranty on the magnetron. Also, it will require you to un-install the entire microwave and remove the outer shell in order to access the magnetron for replacement so if you called a technician out it would be another $150 for trip and labor. Below is a link to the magnetron you'd need to order and replace for your model number. CLICK HERE for magnetronWe are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with? If not, please remember to rate my service to complete our conversation.