Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Our maytag dryer model MDE4057AYW stopped working,when we press

Customer Question

our maytag dryer model MDE4057AYW stopped working,when we press the start button all i hear is a humming sound,please help
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
How long does the humming sound last? Just until you stop pressing the start button? Or will it run an entire cycle with the unit humming?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
justnuntil i stop pressing the button
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it stops when i let go of the start button
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK so that means that your motor is definitely getting power and the belt isn't broken. Either your motor has failed or something is jamming the drum from moving. Open the door and spin the drum to make sure it's not seized. If it is then you'll need to take the dryer apart and see what is jamming the drum. If the drum will rotate by hand, then try the dryer again because sometimes just rotating the drum will reset the motor centrifugal switch and it'll start working again. If not, you'll need a new motor. The part number for your model is W10410997 and it's about $130 or so. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i'll try it
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK good luck
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now it's doing nothing
no humming or anything
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
The motor is likely overheated from trying to start before or it has just completely failed. Just give it 30 minutes and try again. If the drum isn't stuck and moves by hand, you just need to replace the motor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry forgot to close door,still no luck
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still humming,drum turns freely though
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK well below is a link to the motor you can order if you wanted to fix the issue. The motor is a Whirlpool motor because Maytag was bought out by Whirlpool in 2006. CLICK HERE for motor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i'll try that
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Alright well I'm sorry about the bad news today but I do wish you only the best. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with? If not, please remember to rate my service to complete our conversation.