Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Whirlpool microwave oven. About 6 years old. The

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool microwave oven. About 6 years old. The lights work, the turntable turns, the fans run, but it heats nothing. The model number is ***** 1164XVS-2. I'm told I should toss it and buy another. How difficult and costly is this to fix? I am mechanically inclined,... if I have some good instruction.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately this is not a simple fix or just an easy reset. If the microwave still looks and sounds like it's working, but it's just not heating--that means your magnetron has likely failed. The magnetron is the part that actually creates the microwave to heat the food and it commonly goes bad and rarely gives a warning. The part itself costs about $150 so depending on the condition of the microwave, it may be better to just replace the microwave rather than repair it. Also, it will require you to un-install the entire microwave and remove the outer shell in order to access the magnetron for replacement so if you called a technician out it would be another $150 for trip and labor. Below is a link to the magnetron you'd need to order and replace for your model number. CLICK HERE for magnetron We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with? If not, please remember to rate my service to complete our conversation.