John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a built-in Kitchenaid side-by-side refrigerator model

Customer Question

I have a built-in Kitchenaid side-by-side refrigerator model KSSS48QTX02 that will not hold low temps in freezer. Over temp warning light (in fridge panel) has been flashing and ice maker has stopped working as well. I removed the back panel and there was frost built up on the top of the coils. I thawed with a hairdryer and turned power back on. I just checked back in freezer and fan is spinning. I ran diagnosics and for defrost heater/bi-metal, initial reading was a quick 1 then quick 2 back to steady 1. The VC compressor reading was 02, but I don't know how long I should have let that section of the test run.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.
Hi, when you removed the back panel inside was the fan running above the coils?
Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No it was not but i had turned off the cooling. The fan itself was not obstructed in any way. I can photo anything that might be helpful
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just ran diagnostics again, since thawing coils by hairdryer. The VC Compressor reading is still at 2 (VC Compressor OFF, waiting for min off delay), and the Defrost Heater/bi-metal is a steady 02 (Defrost heater energized / Bi-metal open)I do hear an intermittent beep, beep, beep -- from one of the control boards above I think.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Update as of this afternoon. The ice maker just dumped a tray of ice into the bin. I put a thermometer in the freezer and it shows 6 degrees and the digital readout in the refrigerator section is says 19 degrees and continues to flash as over temp. A few times I have heard the ice maker chute flap motor sound, as though the chute is closing -- but it is and has been fully closed.
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
I am a different tech can you get at the main control board on the unit above by the compressor area?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I have access to it