Appliance Medic
Appliance Medic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory Trained CFC Technician
13570846

My maytag Neptune washer only puts out warm water no matter what setting it is on, the hos

Customer Question

my maytag Neptune washer only puts out warm water no matter what setting it is on, the hoses are correctly connected
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
correction it is an atlantis
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.
Hi, when this happens it's usually because the thermistor on the water valve has failed. The thermistor regulates the water temp. The cold side solenoid could have also failed. You could ohm the thermistor out or test the cold side for 110v when it should be filling with cold. The water valve is the part on the top back where the water inlet hoses connect. It's held in place with a screw and slides into the frame. The wire connections are plug and play. It's a straight forward repair. You can purchase the part locally or from the link below.
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/whirlpool-water-inlet-valve-12002158-ap4010168.html
We work on the honor system here at Just Answers. Were not credited for our work until you rate our answers positively. After you rate our answers positively the question does not close. You can come back and ask follow up questions for no additional charge.
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I OHM the thermistor is that just for continuity or is there a specific resistance range I should be looking for?
Yes, it should be in the range of 45-50 kΩ at 75°F.
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is the fix the same regardless of the thermistor or solenoid tests? meaning are they part of the same main part or is the solenoid separate to the part you gave me?
Yes, the fix is the same. Both parts are one part. The part in the link.
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, thanks. of course the wife has a load in right now. I will test later just to verify.
You're most welcome. Happy to help.
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok so when it is set to cold/cold there is 110v going to the cold valve but the voltage to the hot valve is constantly changing reading anything from 70v-76v. when on hot/cold there is 0v going to the cold valve and 110v going to the hot valve. when on warm there is an even 110v going to both valves. So I am thinking the hot valve is the problem, or whatever is sending voltage to it. having a little hard time locating the thermistor if you can tell me where that is unless I don't need to based on the voltage readings listed above
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
unless the thermistor is the black housing with the two wire connectors opposite and under the water valves. if so rather the washer was in use (filling) or not, I cannot ohm anything across the two contacts. if you have a suggestion as what settings need to be and rather or not to have the washer doing anything when I test it I could use that information
The thermistor is built into the valve. On the pictures in inside the black part. The two prongs coming off it are the thermistor. If the cold valve has 110v and no water comes in, replace the valve. The voltage will fluctuate. Based on what you're saying the water valve is bad for sure.
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I agree it sounds like the valve. one last bit of info before I go ahead and buy a new valve simply because of the way you phrased something. in all testing water came out at all times. does that matter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and based on your description, machine setting or phase is irrelevant. if I ohm across the two contacts on the thermistor I should be getting some manner of reading correct?
Yes, the thermistor should have a reading.
Thank you