Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My freezer is warm. I cleaned all built ice and drain, but

Customer Question

My freezer is warm. I cleaned all built ice and drain, but it is still warm after hour and half.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Medic replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.
Hi, where was the ice building up at?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had problem with ice in freezer for a long time. There had been problem with drain getting clogged and ice was building up at the bottom of freezer. However, it has been working fine as of fridge or freezer being cold. One problem was there that I had to clean up ice once a month or so. As I mentioned initially, as of yesterday there is no air flow in either fridge or freezer side. Per further checkup, I did test mode 1 and I see that fan is working, but not when I set it back to regular mode.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I tried to clean up ice, there was little bit ice left at the connection of the coil.
Hi, the fan inside the freezer is not working?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Honestly, I do not know if it is fan, but there is no air coming out in either fridge or freezer. Again, when I did test mode, air did turn on. There is no air flow when it is regular mode.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As of now fan inside freezer is not working
No worries. That's going to be the problem. The fans need to run to keep the unit cool. if the fans only run in test mode, replace the control board because it's shorted. You can replace the board. It's a very straight forward repair. You can get the part locally or from the link below.
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/lg-pcb-assembly-main-6871jb1423n-ap4439541.html
We work on the honor system here at Just Answers. Were not credited for our work until you rate our answers positively. After you rate our answers positively the question does not close. You can come back and ask follow up questions for no additional charge.
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I brought the part but realized that wiring is little different. Original control board has three sockets for (FRONT DOOR, F-FAN, R-DOOR), (DISP, DISPLAY, RT-SNR), AND (STEP-MOTOR, F-DOOR, D-SNR, R-SNR, F-NAR). Now new board has FOUR sockets (F-FAN,C-FAN), (R-DOOR, PUMP, RT-SNR), (DISPLAY), (STEP-MOTOR, F-DOOR, D-SNR, R-SNR,F-SNR). Obviously sockets two out of three sets plugs do not fit. Please advise.PS: Each bracket represents a socket.
Hi, it sounds like they sent you the wrong board. Call them and ask. The board should be plug and play.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have talked to LG Rep and part number is ***** I also looked at picture of board on the page at link you sent me. The board I got is exactly same as the one in picture at the website from the link you have sent me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see that they have changed some wiring on the main board since they manufactured these refrigerators.
That's strange. I'm not seeing any bulletin or anything like that. What did the LG Rep have to say about the wiring problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried to talk to LG customer Rep and they will not help me. They want me to call for technician and have him do wiring.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Basically they don't want me to do repair by myself. Local tech will not come to my place for couple of days.
I see. I'll look into the wiring more. I'm not seeing anything at the moment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So far what I found is that this new board has all the wiring different than old one including power in and power out.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! That is the correct board for the model that you posted. Can you double check the model number and also post any numbers that may be on your original board, please? I suspect the model number may be incorrect.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The model number I provided is correct number (LFD25860TT is the model number on the sticker inside of the refrigerator), but part number (OEM number) provided through link is not correct. I also purchased part with same OEM number based on information provided from this site and LG representative. However, it was a wrong part. As a result I contacted local technician for installation and he told me that part is wrong since it requires too much rewiring, and it will not work even rewiring is done. Luckily, the local supplier refunded my money in spite of no return policy.
I also checked different websites including the one with link provided, and none have a right part. All the websites and local suppliers provide same wrong board.PS: According to local technician, there should be no rewiring needed for main control board. It should be simple plug ins for all sockets.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That is correct, no rewiring should be required. Can you post a picture of your old board and any numbers that may be printed on it, please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not able to upload picture of the board from my phone at this moment. However, OEM number is *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also tried to find this part on line but haven't had any luck, since they discontinued this part.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
It is missing a number after the 120 and before the M.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
6871JB1280M
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! That board is no longer available new. There is one on eBay right now, though, link below.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6871JB1280M-Refrigerator-Control-/111656841159?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19ff442fc7
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found the part, got it and changed it, but no result. Refrigerator still does not get cold. As a matter a fact neither fridge nor freezer getting cold. Compressor turns on, condensing fan turns on, all the lights in refrigerator turn on and that is about it.