Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

John I have a 1991 Sub Zero model 561 Frig. The Freezer

Customer Question

Hi John
I have a 1991 Sub Zero model 561 Frig. The Freezer just stopped working over night! I have cleaned the condenser coils, check that the condenser fan is operating and have checked that the evaporator fan in the freezer is running when the compressor is running. It seems the compressor runs constantly and gets hot to the touch. I had a repair guy come and check and he check something with a pressure gauge and told me the pressure was higher than it should be and that the compressor is shot. He said to replace compressor and the heat exchanger which he recommends would be around $1500. But he also said he would recommend the evaporator as well so total around $2,000! Does that seem reasonable and does it sound like a compressor problem? Thank you
Jim
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! If the suction pressure is high, that does indeed indicate compressor failure in most cases. To replace the compressor without replacing the heat exchanger and evaporator is risky and would probably wind up costing considerably more in the long run. If you intend to replace the compressor, heed his advice. Sub Zero makes a great refrigerator but you pay a premium price for service because they are difficult and very time consuming to work on. This will be an all day job for the tech and there is great risk in damaging the flooring and cabinetry during moving and brazing in the various components. The charge is definitely not out of line and I would recommend you replace the parts he suggests.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
At nearly 25 years old, if you are able, it may make more sense to replace the refrigerator. However, often times that involves cabinetry and other modifications, depending on what you buy new. So, if you decide to buy new, you will need to take that into consideration. Keep in mind that the other compressor and sealed system is also 25 years old, so it may not be far behind the one that failed.....
Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!